Sprinters on Vehicle Ramps

Mike LaB.

I was looking at ramps at Walmart today. Something I can drive the van onto to give me a bit more room underneath for when I need to crawl under it.

That got me thinking about weight ratings. Their ramps say for vehicles up to 12,000 lbs. GVW and goes on to say up to 3,000 pounds per wheel. Since I'll be under the van while it's up on those things I want to be certain that I buy something that will be strong enough.

The spec sheet that I have for my Sprinter https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6793 shows Permissable Gross Vehicle Weight as 8,550 lbs. & Permissable Gross Combination Vehicle Weight as 13,550 lbs. :thinking:

Can anyone clarify this info for me and/or recommend a ramp brand that you know is safe to crawl under? :professor:

Thanks!

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
youd be safer to dig a large hole in your garden:lol: and drive over it. something like this handy gardening tip.

max.......

Attachments

cajundjb

Mike, I believe you'd only want to raise either the front or rear axle; not both at the same time, which could get very hazardous IMO. If so, I also believe you should be looking at the weight ratings a little farther down on that spec sheet for front and rear axles. If the weight of your Sprinter is in question, you could go to some truck scales usually located at most truck stops. They have the capability to weigh each axle.

Diamondsea

The gross loaded weight is to be 8500. The combined weight of 13500 is that you can tow a trailer up to 5000 pounds when the vehicle is fully loaded. My 09 144 high roof I have converted into a DIY camper and I have had it weighted twice. Each axle was about 3300; total weight about 6600. Each wheel was about 1650.

david_42

Look at the axle loading figures. The maximum, fully loaded for the front is 3700 lbs, rear 4800. 3000 lb ramps will be fine, even fully loaded. If you only want a few inches, some 2x8s cut and nailed into steps works well.

By the way, getting the front end up on ramps is difficult unless the ramps are immobilized.

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Doesn't the owners manual addresses hoisting procedures?

I think jack stands are more safe than wheel ramps. Driving onto a supposedly/hopefully stable surface should be avoided whenever possbile, thinks me.

-Jon

Mike LaB.

Thanks for all the tips and the weight per wheel breakdown, that's a big help!

I do like the wood block idea. Maybe I'll go that route for now. They are not only smaller to store but sturdier looking too. I have jack stands for when I get the vehicle up high enough, but I still need to get under there to set the jack stands.

Top Bottom