Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 VV966

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
After searching around for valvoline 5w-40 synpower mst here in the SF Bay area, I found that the Mst oil is only available in 55 gal drums. The VV966 oil is essentially the same but is available in quart containers. In fact, the VV966 bottle states that it meets MB229.51. I was able to order this oil from NAPA auto for just under $5 per quart which is a pretty good price.

Correction - vv966 is 5w-40 Synpower MST.

Last edited:

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
Seems the "MST" letters don't make it to the bottles but it is the 229.51 approved lube. I use it and love it, samples come back OK!

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
That's a good deal. Which Bay Area Napa did you get the Synpower from?
I bought a case at the Napa in Morgan Hill and another couple of cases at the Napa on Monterey Hwy in San Jose. Unfortunately, the sale on valvoline oils ended on June 30.

comet429

Well,I did one oil change with the vv966 from napa.

Went to do a 2nd oil change with the vv966 and the new labeling now has for gasoline engine on the front and on the back in extra small writing it has MB229.51 approved.:thinking::bash::yell::wtf::crazy:

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
new labeling now has for gasoline engine on the front and on the back in extra small writing it has MB229.51 approved.:thinking::bash::yell::wtf::crazy:
The MB229.51 spec results in oil that is far better suited for gasoline engines in North America (Valvoline's main market).

While it is required for our OM642 diesel engines and the emission system we have.....it would not meet specs for just about every other diesel out there except a few VW's.

While it is required for our OM642 diesel engines and the emission system we have.....it would not meet specs for just about every other diesel out there except a few VW's.
Piper1,
I recall that after reading some other oil comments that I decided the MB 229.51 spec oil would not be good for the 5 cylinder in-line even if cost was not prohibitive (which it is in spades compared to Rotella T6 full synthetic). Can you comment whether that is the case for MB 229.51 oil and use in the OM 612, OM647 engines? Thanks, vic

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
Basically, if you don't have the V-6 OM642, I would use anything but MB229.51, preferably MB228.31 or the specs listed in your manual. Rotella T-6 is a great oil.

MB229.51 oil is designed primarily to protect the emission control system and deal with sludge to ensure the timing chain tensionners remain free. But mainly for the emission control system.

The oil has a low TBN right out of the bottle and I have never seen an oil get wiped out by an engine as quick as the MB229.51 does. As an oil...it sucks....but the potential perils of not using it in a 07+ Sprinter are far worse.

These comments apply to NAFTA Sprinters and oils only.

Last edited:

Top Bottom