Another Oil Change Rotella Syn

machinemon

That was the easiest oil change I have ever done. What a nice design. I did have issues with the oil. The guy I bought the van from, 2005 3500 said he always used mobile one. He just got it off of the shelf and was oblivious to the MB spec. Did not know about any spec. Oh well. I called the dealer and they said much the same thing. Isn't that an instant void the warrantee decision? Anyway the dealer said not to use Rotella but it was the only oil that said MB 128.31 so I used it. 5w-40 Rotella Synthetic. Hope she is not going to blow...We are off to the coast for a long weekend pulling a Scamp travel trailer. Dogs, boats, tents, ice chests ect. We are in Central Texas and it is about 100 degrees F. I know the subject has been beated fairly well but if anyone has any input on Rotella let me know. Back in the day, the John Deere guys, the ones paying the bills swore by the Rotella and would not use anything else. I would think it is among the best, I hope. Let me know if I have picked a bummer. Thanks, Joel

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Hi Joel,

Congratuations on your purchase. I hope you enjoy it!

If you don't have one, you may download a copy of the 2005 owners manual by clicking here. It's in PDF format, so you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader or something else that is able to display PDF documents.

On page 260, Shell Rotella T Multigrade (15w-40) is listed.

The owners manual, on page 220 lists the MB specs of 228.3, 228.5, 229.3 and 229.5 as appropriate for your engine.

Attached are four PDFs from http://bevo.daimler.com. They contain the oils approved today for those specs as of 17 June 2009

-Jon

2005-OwnersManual-Engine-Oil.JPG

View attachment MB-228.3.pdf

View attachment MB-228.5.pdf

View attachment MB-229.3.pdf

View attachment MB-229.5.pdf

Top Bottom