Parametric Special Module ??

vodochild

HI TO ALL, THIS IS MY FIRST POST HERE SO BE NICE:bash:
I just purchased my new Sprinter 3500 Cargo Van this week, ($18390.00) discount from Chrysler.
But on the build sheet it listed a "PARAMETRIC SPECIAL MODULE" CODE # XCF. OK what the heck is that?:thinking:
We are building a camping van ( not our first GOAT-ROAP), but the last. Amaizing how much you can get discounted on these now. Last year we could not find any.
This Van was special ordered for a contractor, but he went butt-up,(the van not the butt) I jumped on it.:rad:
Thanks.
As I get more into the build we will post pictures.
THE VODOCHILD:drool:

kmessinger

Welcome to the forum!

If you do a search on "PARAMETRIC" you will find quite a few different posts.

Regards,

Keith

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Do a search using the drop down box in the blue line above, you'll find a few posts about PSM. Trick to have, but you're unlikely to utilise it a great deal. It's a safe way to interface ancilliary electrical systems with the vehicle's CANbus system.

vodochild

Now I understand, I'm a retired aircraft engineer, did a lot of work with the Airbus, last project was the computer controled toliet on the A330. They use a CANbus system to flush the crapper.:eek:
Thanks

qualityair

'09 144" Cargo
My 2007 BMW R1200GS motorcycle uses the can-bus control for the entire electrical system. There is NOT 1 fuse on the whole bike :eek:

Stock photo, I ride in the "outback" and across country, I just don't take pictures.

rik

discussion of this seems spread across a few threads; i re-awaken this one. it seems like a useful hack to me, for general interaction with this smart vehicle.

i'm looking at this in the MB. first, the option listing details:

ED5 EQUIPMENT : Parameterisable special module

Details & Technology
The parameterisable special module (PSM) provides an interface for accessing the vehicle electronic system. Vehicle information - for
example about rotar y light switch positions, direction indicators, open doors, wiper switch positions, etc - can be accessed and vehicle
functions can be modified via 10 inputs and 20 outputs.
Body manufacturers can integrate special functions such as r pm governors, engine remote star t/stop controls etc. via the PSM.
As soon as the relevant information is defined, these functions can be parameterised using the Star Diagnosis system.
Body manufacturers can find detailed information about the PSM in the Body/Equipment Mounting Directives.
Benefits & Arguments
• Caters for electrical modifications and retrofitting
Access to the vehicle electronic system is now only possible/permissible via one defined interface. This improves protection of the
vehicle’s basic functional integrity.
Remarks
Responsibility for parameterising the PSM lies with the relevant body manufacturer. Mercedes-Benz only parameterises ex-works special
equipment features (MT4, M53, BR9).

eg, re: kmessinger's post it does seem necessary for the high idle option.

but is this is all independent from the "DAD" diagnostics discussed wrt/ T1Ns? i guess i thought that would be the main thing this was good for?

anyone using it?

rik

I just purchased my new Sprinter 3500 Cargo Van this week, ($18390.00) discount from Chrysler.
THE VODOCHILD:drool:
i realize this post was from a year ago, but is $18k for a new 3500 an amazing price or what? i'm looking at 144" 2500 hightop, Dodge'09 or MB'10, and feeling lucky if i can find any even starting close to $30k?! the switchover from Dodge to MB seemed like a great time to buy (with MB'11 prices supposed to be higher), but that means i'm paying ~2x what VodoChild did?!

rik

congrat's VoDoChild, on an amazing price!

PSM-Module: Can to Can awaking is required for activation.
thanks for these figures, Richard (what doc are they from?). but while i can guess about protocols, i'm afraid i don't even know what 'awakening' and 'activation' means in the CAN context?

again, the high idle option has a certain appeal (long parks when you want heat or A/C) and if that demands the parametric module, that's a reason. and while it seems that you can add the parametric module later pretty easily, adding the high-idle as a retrofit seems to be a bad idea(?).

but my main interest is in getting much more info from the main ECU computer than just 'check engine'. that's what i associate with Dr. A's DAD unit for T1N's. do these work on the NCV3's?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
rik wrote:
but my main interest is in getting much more info from the main ECU computer than just 'check engine'. that's what i associate with Dr. A's DAD unit for T1N's. do these work on the NCV3's?
DAD does not work with an NCV3.
There are similar DAD-like devices which -do- speak to NCV3 ... at a cost of about $1,500.
One example is the "CarSoft": http://www.carsoftsales.com/
Click on "Professional" to find the Sprinter-compatible product.

--dick

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
congrat's VoDoChild, on an amazing price!

thanks for these figures, Richard (what doc are they from?).Body builder portal UK sideView attachment PSM Brochure.pdf but while i can guess about protocols, i'm afraid i don't even know what 'awakening' and 'activation' means in the CAN context? That's OK most of do not ,and it's an expensive option for what it does. Honestly it's just a big add-on accessory module.You can activate it via the Can to Bus relay via dealership or via an analog pulse.
www.mbbi.co.au screen capture 2010-1-12-15-2-39 (Custom).jpg
drivers seatB copy (Custom).jpg
again, the high idle option has a certain appeal (long parks when you want heat or A/C) and if that demands the parametric module, that's a reason. and while it seems that you can add the parametric module later pretty easily, adding the high-idle as a retrofit seems to be a bad idea(?).

DAD is non compatible to the NCV
There is a wecprobehttp://www.wecprobe.com/ Wecprobe noid light coming soon.. I have the prototype and it works a treat, but this operates in analog mode not digital,so far faultless
to detect any fault [It does not fix the problem just identity's where the fault is.
Richard
DSC01053(1) (Custom).JPG

NBB

Now I understand, I'm a retired aircraft engineer, did a lot of work with the Airbus, last project was the computer controled toliet on the A330. They use a CANbus system to flush the crapper.:eek:
Thanks
This cracks me up.

Alright folks - I think he gets it.

I'm holding out for the carsoft home edition for the Sprinter - ~$300 or so. We were promised sometime in May. Only 1.5 more days to wait!

Really, though, in high tech, the rule of thumb is 1.5x the schedule. Maybe later this summer.

masterkiller

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
hi all just found that wecprobe thing on youtube it looks quit good
Thanks so far I have not been able to fault the wecprobe in any application have tried.
even sold six to the local lads around my home base.
YouTube - wecprobe,noid light.wmv
PS This 3 in one EFI unit is Tasman made and has only just come on the market.
for AU $AU145.00 plus postage.
It is yet to be distributed Australian-wide
International is subject to a world wide patent.
Can be used as a noidlight;As a circuit tester; For back-probing ECU/ECM ; as a Diode test light;Or as a continuity tester.

Richard

Last edited:

Top Bottom