what kind of sprinter should i buy for my purpose...

kraze

I'm going to buy a sprinter and make it into a mobile office...

My dilemma here is the A/C... if I buy a passenger sprinter, would it save a headache or not? I will end up paying more that's for sure (not to mention stripping the interior), plus I'm not even sure if the factory type A/C would be good for my purpose! If I'm working in the van, I would have to have the van running unless there was someway to modify it??

I was thinking of buying a 2008 170" turbo diesel high roof. I suppose the 2500 model should do the trick? If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to chime in !

Any help greatly appreciated! TIA

Last edited:

shanemac

Depends....cargo versions are much more common to find, depending how much security you want the cargo is better less glass to smash out depending which model you get. There is no doubt the passenger version would have a more heavy duty a/c system. What type of mobile office do you want to set up? and how hot is your weather.

I have not had the chance to run my a/c yet for the rear in my cargo so i can't say how well it would work right now...but if a cargo is well insulated and maybe with roof vents would do ok.

I'm sure there are after market a/c units that could be installed for extra cooling on the cargo units.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
With a Fleetwood Pulse or any other pre-made factory conversion there's a lot to tear out before you end up with a decent office.

Listed under the Sprinter RV section of the forum are converters who will build an office in a Sprinter for you.

As for your original question, the cargo is best for your use. For A/C you ned to mount a Carrier (I've been told they are most dependable in vehicle usage) and either plug in to shore power when you are "officing" or put in a generator.

Your post sounded as if you were going to do the conversion yourself, so the conversion companies won't do much for you except let you look at their pictures.

david_42

The rear A/C would require running the engine at low loads for extended periods, not a good idea. I doubt you would want all of those windows either, too easy for people to see what is in the van. Your best bet is to buy a cargo van, install a generator and a RV-type roof A/C. There are many small diesel generators for RVs.

Sportsmobile can do a custom conversion for you, with just the options you need, nothing more.

nightprowler

I work in my 3500 all day and purchased a rear air that hooks up to the factory compressor. It also has heat, which being from Florida I don't know how much that would be used. I insulated the entire back including the ceiling with R13 insulation and have had the work area down to 70 degrees.
I also had to have an enclosure custom build because the unit does not come with any kind of filtering. The "Idle-Up" option works well when I am sitting for long periods of time. These pictures are not of my Sprinter but a friend in the same business.
Good Luck!

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom