what tranny do i have?

cheapbikeguy

I took my 04 MB 316 sprinter to my local dodge dealer for tranny service today and once i got there they told me that they could not cross my MB vin# with there dodge data base. then they told me there are several different tranys for 2004 and they don't know if they can get the filter. so i am taking matters in to my own hands and will do it myself, but i need to find out what trans is in my van so i can order a filter kit. anyone know how i get this :thinking:

Did they double check the VIN number they were using? As someone wrote it down it's possible they transposed numbers. A bit of a long shot, but stranger things have happened.

talkinghorse43

Sounds like yours was originally sold somewhere else, like South America or Europe and is a "true" MB Sprinter. Where did it come from? Do you have an automatic transmission, or is it a manual or Sprintshift?

cheapbikeguy

its a five speed auto. and i bought from a MB dealer in Vancouver it was there parts delivery van. the dodge dealer told me MB #s don't cross with dodge. i have had this problem before with filters and electrical stuff but i was always able to find what i need on ebay. I had the van go into limp mode a couple of weeks ago so i want to service the trans asap. :thumbdown:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
If the dealer ran the VIN in sequence this would have came up for your transmission:Example;
7116201390688 followed by AC6 axle ratio 1=3,727 for a calibration match
then the part number's that cross reference to dodge would have shown on his computer.
Try looking at this link as to cross referencing part numbers it's a little confusing as to which goes with what but it will help.
Richard

Mercedes & Dodge Part Numbers - Sprinter-Forum
TSB's on NAG1 Transmission

With the info that this Sprinter isn't a North American import model it makes my VIN number suggestion seem kinda dumb. Not to get off topic (but I will), I wonder how many non North American Sprinters there are over here? My guess would be no more than a handful.

talkinghorse43

With the info that this Sprinter isn't a North American import model it makes my VIN number suggestion seem kinda dumb. Not to get off topic (but I will), I wonder how many non North American Sprinters there are over here? My guess would be no more than a handful.
Interesting question. I remember a Sprintshift model reported in this forum that had originally come from Sweden, I believe.

Thinking more, it seems it wouldn't be too hard to drive a Sprinter from Mexico to here. I just had a quick look at the MB site in Mexico and they have Vitos available and Sprinters with 6 spd manual trannies.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Correct One 313 Cdi MWB flat top sprintshift NY non certified
Two Canada all tins, quietly resting ones on it's way for an experiment:smilewink: and another bought over for a failed 4x4 project..no! Not Toms either.
Mexico well not legally registered but could be used on a US road for a period of time.
Richard

Last edited:

SPRINTERUK

HERE TO HELP
hi
if you give me the chassis number i will look for you
see were the van was built for and give the the part numbers you need
regards
chris

Top Bottom