T1N vs NCV3

Moto

First post here and searching for recommendation from the wise people on the forum.

Considering a Sprinter for conversion, will use it to transport my motorcycle on occasional basis as well as sleeping quarters.

I couldn't find a comparison tread between the "Old" and the "New" version of the van.

Reliability and ease of maintenance is a priority and I always prefer the simple mechanics of all the machinery I own.

The question is if we create a list of the cons and pros of the T1N and the NCV3 which one would end up on the top?

Is there any disadvantage of owning the T1N vs. the new model?

Cheers,
Moto

talkinghorse43

Welcome to the forum!

Go to advanced search, type in T1N NCV3 and select titles only. You'll find several threads with your comparison info.

dougsrv4mx

Welcome aboard Moto, I was once looking for a Sprinter cargo van to convert into a mini funmover. I would recommend the 158WB with hightop. The earlier 5 cylinder Sprinters are easier to find, cheaper and get slightly better MPG vs the newer V6. I love my 2005.:thumbup:

Moto

Thank you dougy! I'll keep that in mind, I haven't tested the 06 version yet and the 08 that I drove was a very refine vehicle, but just the idea of the EGR combined with the DPF looks more like a high maintenance mistress to me. I may still buy one of the new Sprinters although I like the idea of being in control of my car and I believe that the car should work for me and not the other way around.

Cheers!

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I wanted a shortie, 118". They didn't make them in NCV3. Simple decision.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I wanted a shortie, 118". They didn't make them in NCV3.
We also wanted the 118" (and bought one 3 years ago).

They still -make- a "short" (3250mm: 128") model, but they're not imported to the North American market.
Foo.

--dick

glasseye

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on these basic assumptions by a non-owner, but soon-to-be owner.

T1N advantages:
slightly better fuel economy, easier self maintenance, lower price for used units, more maneuverable/parkable, smaller doors (especially the slider).

NCV3 advantages:
significantly bigger cargo area and cockpit, more refined vehicle, more power, less emissions, tilt steering, steering wheel controls.

T1N disadvantages:
older design, smaller (especially more narrow) may have "rumble strip noise" transmission issues, noisier at highway speeds.

NCV3 disadvantages:
complex computer controls not easily serviced/diagnosed by owner, DPF and other emission controls may cause problems, engine and accessory access and repair more difficult for DIY, huge slider door difficult to use, higher cargo compartment floor height, higher cost of ownership overall.

Additions or disputes to these criteria most welcome.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
T1N advantages:
slightly better fuel economy, easier self maintenance, lower price for used units, more maneuverable/parkable, smaller doors (especially the slider).
Fuel economy is definitely better. Parkable is debatable. And I'm not sure having the smaller door is an advantage.

NCV3 advantages:
significantly bigger cargo area and cockpit, more refined vehicle, more power, less emissions, tilt steering, steering wheel controls.
Probably has more emissions or at least one big one and that is the DPF.

T1N disadvantages:
older design, smaller (especially more narrow) may have "rumble strip noise" transmission issues, noisier at highway speeds.
No swing out sunshade.

NCV3 disadvantages:
complex computer controls not easily serviced/diagnosed by owner, DPF and other emission controls may cause problems, engine and accessory access and repair more difficult for DIY, huge slider door difficult to use, higher cargo compartment floor height, higher cost of ownership overall.
ASSYST is currently not resetable without having a computer. I used the taller slider and I find it about the same and it also has a better latching system when opened.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I spoke with a couple of Chrysler HQ people and three "scan tool" support people about that. The consensus was that it's very unlikely Daimler will provide a flash update for the Cabin Compartment Node (CCN) ECU to "fix" for the inability of a driver to reset NAFTA NCV3 ASSYST. I still think every NCV3 owner should write to customer support via the Dodge website, complaining about it. A few thousand emails might change the prevailing sentiment.

-Jon

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
I was just there, T1N vs NCV3. Simpler vs more refined.
Both will require an owner who participates in the up keep and learns the vehicle.
I chose a 2007 NCV3 144" low roof passenger van with 6,200 miles for $30,000.00.
A really nice T1N costs the same.

glasseye

It's been about four years since I first drove a dealer demo T1N. A few days ago, getting closer to being able to actually purchase,:drool: I drove both an 06 3500 T1N with 80,000 kms and a new NCV3. Both cargo versions with cargo partitions. Of course, a significant difference would be expected, but I was unprepared for the amazing refinement of the NCV3. The T1N drove and sounded like a truck. The NCV3 drove more like a car, but with all the advantages of a truck. Very impressive.

TimJuhl

I've driven both and can't argue that the NCV3 is a bit more "refined." What drove my choice was $15K cheaper and better mileage. My 2006 3500 typically gets 22-24 mpg which in these uncertain economic times is a real plus.

Tim

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I've owned both comparing a Tin to a NCV is liken to two totally different vehicles the NCV drives like a car quite fuel efficient 23MPG for a 5 tonner not bad for the V6 no issues in 200 thousand miles before it drowned in the outback purchased late 2006 registered Feb 2007.
Tin now 4 years old equally as reliable with out issues apart from maintenance the cost has been low as to owning business that can do the maintenance and buying at trade prices not retail:thumbdown: The Tin is a tad nosier as to shutting the doors but overall once on the road! No real differences, my van has the original sound proofing under the hood on the fire well under the transmission floor including inside of the cabins floor. including the full cavity sound proofing in the doors and hideaway holes in the frame plus under body deadner etc.
It's easier and cheaper to maintain as to the Tin being on the road from 1995.
My Tin is a 4 pot fast and economically viable up to 35 miles per gallon.US. but averages 25 around town, with 5 speed manual transmission so no problems at all or having ERG values and resonators or speed limiters....:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:Vrom Vroooom :shhh:
one only has to see how many are on the road on a global basis's as to the testimony of success to the vehicles popularity.
Remember The Mercedes-Benz Tin does not become redundant it becomes a classic in history to own.
Had to say that one...:clapping:
Love my Van, love my work.
Richard

glasseye

Even given the more "truckiness" of the T1N, I'd prefer it over the NCV3 for its relative simplicity. The trouble for me resides in the relative lack of low-mileage product on the market. There is a surfeit of NCV3s out there, new ones, at not a whole lot more than a really good T1N. At $30K or so for an NCV3 vs $25K for a really good T1N, it's hard to turn away from the bigger, slicker NCV3. Chrysler's uncertain future gives me the most pause, though. No matter how much I love the thought of driving a Sprinter, the fear of investing in what may become an orphan is all too real. Am I needlessly worrying? I dunno.:thinking:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Vehicles as investments is marketing at its finest. It doesn't work for me. To me - and perhaps only me - an investment is something you purchase with an intent to keep until you (or an heir or set of heirs) might sell it for more than you paid.

Economic nomencleature aside, I think people should buy the Sprinter that appeals to them, for what ever reason: looks, comfort, because you think you can get tires for it, your opinion of mechanics, potential for a protracted utility under your stewardship, for your own enjoyment, just to piss off the [NCV3 or T1N] crowd... whatever.... it doesn't matter. All that matters is that you make a decision, act on it, make the best of it and laugh (either at yourself for making a mistake, or with everyone who loves the van as much as - or more than - you).

I think trying to come up with canonical justifications to support a notion of "best" - for one person or for everyone - is a red herring. Life's short. Buy what you'd enjoy.

-Jon

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Vehicles as investments is marketing at its finest. It doesn't work for me. To me - and perhaps only me - an investment is something you purchase with an intent to keep until you (or an heir or set of heirs) might sell it for more than you paid.

Economic nomencleature aside, I think people should buy the Sprinter that appeals to them, for what ever reason: looks, comfort, because you think you can get tires for it, your opinion of mechanics, potential for a protracted utility under your stewardship, for your own enjoyment, just to piss off the [NCV3 or T1N] crowd... whatever.... it doesn't matter. All that matters is that you make a decision, act on it, make the best of it and laugh (either at yourself for making a mistake, or with everyone who loves the van as much as - or more than - you).

I think trying to come up with canonical justifications to support a notion of "best" - for one person or for everyone - is a red herring. Life's short. Buy what you'd enjoy.

-Jon
So True:clapping: Each to our own! "Life's just a highway on roller coaster." :eek: heck! If I was super rich I'd buy the lot, one for each day of the week:smilewink: But Jeanne said she'd divorce me :0(
Richard

Top Bottom