PDA

View Full Version : Adding seats to a cargo van

Nate
09-26-2008, 04:26 PM
I wanted to add a 2-person row of seats to my cargo van that I use for work.
The extra 2 seats would be for going to football games and tailgating as it is easier to carry the coolers, tables, grill, canopy and other stuff in the van along with 4 people this way and it would be safer than sitting in camping chairs.

The first thing I needed to do was uncover the floor to find where to set the the brackets.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6114/imgp2209jf1.jpg

Once I had the wood cut-out I was able to set where the brackets would go. I then went to a local Auto body shop and they welded nuts to washers that I gave them.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3893/imgp2277iq9.jpg

I used washers with the nuts because I figured it would be easier to weld to the floor with out the risk of the nut falling into the frame rail.

This is the hole I drilled into the floor to set the nut into.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1601/imgp2278as6.jpg

Here is the nut welede to the floor.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1378/imgp2279pa2.jpg

The guy doing the work also put some paint over it.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3582/imgp2280ai2.jpg

And here is how the floor barcket sits in comparison to the floor. It is up just a smidge but it wasn't anything that bothers me.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/13/imgp2281cq4.jpg

For thew shorter of the 2 brackets I drilled through the floor and used nuts and washers from below but I may take it out and have it done like the one over the frame rail.

The seats went in great. and they are also sturdy as the 2 guys that sit on them are both big guys. 1 weighs about 230LBS and the other is around 300LBS.

I figured I would show this as wehn I looked for info to do mine I couldn't find any pictures that showed the floor of a cargo van.
This is on a 2004 for the record.

windsprinter
09-26-2008, 05:15 PM
anyone know if this is the same for an '08? Thanks for posting, it is very useful! I'm looking to do the same....

Aqua Puttana
09-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Actually they sell weld nuts made for the purpose. They may be less trouble.

Go to

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Key word "weld nut"

They come in different materials. The weld nuts may also be available at local industrial supply houses.

As you're depending upon the weld for strength I suggest adding a couple more fasteners. The loads on the seat bolts/brackets can be significant figuring on people with seat belts built in to the seat stopping suddenly. Hope this helps.

maxextz
09-28-2008, 02:11 PM
great job , i wonder is it legal to carry passengers in a cargo van, i was thinking of doing the same but here "ireland" you need to have windows and seatbelts also you have to change the class from commercial to passenger van:idunno:.
max...

Aqua Puttana
09-28-2008, 05:00 PM
great job , i wonder is it legal to carry passengers in a cargo van, i was thinking of doing the same but here "ireland" you need to have windows and seatbelts also you have to change the class from commercial to passenger van:idunno:.
max...
In the USA it varies from state to state. I get the impression that it is a bit less stringent here than over in the UK, Europe, etc.

My 2004 2500 Low Roof is a cargo model. The guy I bought it from added windows, interior, and converted it to a wheelchair van for hire. That's where I first saw Sure-Lok "L" track used to lock in the wheelchairs. He claims he had to sell it because the second year he went for the New York State inspection they discovered it was a cargo model and wouldn't pass it for passenger service for hire. So far the van has been great.

This is the site for New York State.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/modclass.htm
We do need one side window. It would be very easy to meet the camper requirements. The NYS list for a van is "permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle". Notice it says "or". A Coleman stove mounted to swing up out of the way would do fine I'm sure.

I wouldn't use anything but OEM installed seating if I was using the van for paying passengers. Hope this helps.

SprinterAccessoriesShop
09-28-2008, 05:09 PM
It's true. You may not want to get too comfortable just yet with the seat mounts you made... The factory installed seat mounts are reinforced quite a bit more than simply threading into the sheet metal. The reason for this is because these floor mounts bear the weight of seat and passengers. This mass could become astronmomical under accident conditions where deceleration could be from, say. 60 MPH to Zero MPH in an instant.

Aqua Puttana
09-28-2008, 05:52 PM
It's true. You may not want to get too comfortable just yet with the seat mounts you made... The factory installed seat mounts are reinforced quite a bit more than simply threading into the sheet metal. The reason for this is because these floor mounts bear the weight of seat and passengers. This mass could become astronmomical under accident conditions where deceleration could be from, say. 60 MPH to Zero MPH in an instant.
I just saw a picture of the OEM Sprinter van seats. The shoulder harnesses are built in to the seat tops. That even gives it more leverage to stress the rear bolts/bracket than lap belts would.

Nate
09-28-2008, 10:39 PM
I did use the OEM seats. They are the 2 pasenger one with headrests, and seatbelts.
The brackets are not just threaded into the sheetmetal. Did you read any of my post?

From my understanding the ones from the factopry have nuts welded into the floor just as I have done.

windsprinter
09-29-2008, 12:29 AM
The Dodge website has a 'crew bench seat' as an option on the Sprinter cargo van. An extra $3,500 if memory serves. I asked about it and was told by the salesman that I could go to aftermarket places for it cheaper, and to get one would require a factory order and a 6-8 month wait. I have one side window, I don't believe you need two (can't remember what the required package is with the crew seat. I might include a panelled ceiling, rear heater, etc, check their website if interested (& report bak!) So I bought a cargo off the lot, now it seems that it is prohibitively expensive to add legal seating. But it must be do-able if its an option on the cargo.

Aqua Puttana
09-29-2008, 01:48 AM
I did use the OEM seats. They are the 2 pasenger one with headrests, and seatbelts.
The brackets are not just threaded into the sheetmetal. Did you read any of my post?

From my understanding the ones from the factopry have nuts welded into the floor just as I have done.
I read your post and I saw the pictures of the weld. I doubt the OEM attachments are welded into the floor as you have done. What you have done is basically tack welded the washers on to the sheet metal. The heat from that weld has created hot spots in fairly thin metal which can cause a change in the structure of that material and most likely weakened it. It would be much better if the washers were somehow inserted under the floor metal and tacked so that the pullout stress was bearing up against the area of the washer and the floor metal.

Will they fail? Who knows? As SprinterAccessoriesShop indicated, the stress in a accident deceleration situation is enormous. My intent is not to belittle the project, just let you know that the design may be less than optimal. Do whatever you feel is fair for the people you put in the seats. Hope this helps.

Nate
09-29-2008, 12:02 PM
According to this post that is how the seats are set on the pasengers.

And we all know that if it's in print on the internet that it must be true. :wink:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/message/1326

I feel good about the install and the Auto body shop that did the work saw no problems with how it was done. I wouldn't call it a tack weld as it was done all of the way around the nut and washer. A tack weld is to temporarily hold something in place before it's welded to make sure it is in the right place and it can still be moved slightly or broken fairly easily to readjust.

Disclaimer: This may not be the answer for everyone but I felt it was fine for my situation. YMMV

Aqua Puttana
09-29-2008, 02:42 PM
You're correct that tack weld was a poor choice of words. Remember that welds themselves don't always fail, it's often the metal adjacent to it. I hope none of us ever gets into a situation that puts severe stress on our modifications. Safe driving to you.

hkpierce
09-30-2008, 05:42 PM
According to this post that is how the seats are set on the pasengers.

And we all know that if it's in print on the internet that it must be true. :wink:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/message/1326

I am the source of this citation, and that is not what I said or implied. What I said was that I exposed the existing receiver cup nuts already installed in my passenger van. The nuts had bolts screwed in and tack-welded to the floor. I ground out the tack welds, backed out the bolts, and replaced the bolts with new bolts utilizing the pre-installed nuts. I neither installed new nuts or did any welding whatsoever.

boardster
09-30-2008, 08:15 PM
The Dodge website has a 'crew bench seat' as an option on the Sprinter cargo van. An extra $3,500 if memory serves.
..... So I bought a cargo off the lot, now it seems that it is prohibitively expensive to add legal seating. But it must be do-able if its an option on the cargo.

Just add a $5 garage sale stove bolted in place, a 110volt fridge from K-Mart or "Eh" Mart or whatever you have up north, and make your board rack look like a bed.
Your surfmobile is closer to a camper than passenger vehicle anyway, so might as well call it like it is.
There has to be that same exclusion in your province, since motor homes with dinette or "gaucho" seats are approved there same as here.

The real question is how you feel about the safety of the mounts.

My kids rode to school daily on the bus w/o seatbelts.
I was taking them to FL to surf where there had been recent shark attacks.
I allowed them to sleep on the floor of the E-150 all night while I drove,
figuring that the additional risk was worth having them well rested.
They got a little too much sun despite the SPF30, some abrasions and bruises
from all of the activity, and a bit of the Jellyfish's juice.
I drove all night on the return home, they once again slept on the floor,
and when they returned to school they were probably in better health than their classmates
that played computer games all break.

I won't feel guilty about having them ride in the sideways facing gaucho, with lap belts as the only restraint, bolted to the chassis in a less crashworthy manner than the OEM bench would have been.
Probably a bigger issue is the lack of a beam in the side wall.
Not very much protection in the event of a side impact.

One reason the school busses have no belts is that they are involved in so few crashes.
They claim that the visibility of the big yellow bus keeps people from hitting it.
Did'nt help those kids very much when the driver of the bus was drunk though.

The Sprinter is pretty big and visible, hope that helps us.
174,000 miles on the E-150, it's never been hit.
Only 65,000 on my Honda Civic, it's been hit twice! My VW has been hit twice as well.

Life is filled with tradeoffs.
Driving is more dangerous than scheduled airline travel. Disney World has a better safety record than Cocoa beach, yet there have been deaths on their rides as well.

It's not just the cost, the aftermarket seating options offer a lot more versatility than OEM.
With the sideways seat, we'll be able to Ollie up the wide open rear doors, and fly out the side door.
I'll just carry plenty of spare bearings and decks.
Try doing THAT with OEM seating!:rad:

windsprinter
09-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Boardster, my thoughts exactly on risk assessment. When our kids were babies, we'd take them out of their car seats if they were really upset, since it seemed to us that the distraction of a screaming child posed a far greater risk for an accident than a quiet baby on a lap for five minutes! Not only do school busses not have seat belts, but all the public transit busses have no seatbelts and a fair proportion of sideways seats. I have already noted that when I merge with indicator, go into a single from double lane, etc, that other drivers seem much more courteyous than when driving my pickup or a car.

I'm not sure about the gaucho/dinette seats being legal here though, the RV place told me that only two places in the city were certified to install seat belts (and one is the handicapped 'HandiDart' government garage), and that almost all B and C class RVs in Canada are 2-person vehicles because of the problem. I hope he's wrong though!

Nate
09-30-2008, 09:26 PM
I am the source of this citation, and that is not what I said or implied. What I said was that I exposed the existing receiver cup nuts already installed in my passenger van. The nuts had bolts screwed in and tack-welded to the floor. I ground out the tack welds, backed out the bolts, and replaced the bolts with new bolts utilizing the pre-installed nuts. I neither installed new nuts or did any welding whatsoever.

HK, I apologize for insinuating that you installed the nuts. I used that post to show that the passenger vans have nuts welded into the floor, from the factory, for the seat brackets to be bolted to. That was all.
If i'm wrong about how the nuts are set into the floor of the passenger vans then I apologize again.

Just to clarify, I am happy with how the seats went in and I feel very confident in them. It was what I feel is the best solution to adding OEM seats to my work van. But this is just my personal opinion. Obviously what some are happy with others may question.

If many think this is dangerous then I would ask a moderator to delete this post, and maybe we should never talk about adding seating to a cargo van on a forum again.

boardster
09-30-2008, 09:40 PM
.....almost all B and C class RVs in Canada are 2-person vehicles because of the problem. I hope he's wrong though!

Are you saying that if you bought a View or other brand name RV the dinette seats wouldn't have belts in them, or that you just wouldn;t be allowed to use them?
Technically my seat is only legal if I am a motorhome.
So far everybody stops me in parking lots to ask me if I'm driving a van or what, they don't know what to make of it. Silver w/ windows, it just don't look like a package hauler.
I'm just hoping any authorities also will be confused, and just take my word for it being legit.
Better yet, I guess I'm just hoping nobody ever has reason to stop me.

windsprinter
09-30-2008, 11:44 PM
My understanding is that they come without seatbelts here. Anyone who's bought a Sprinter (or other RV) in Canada know for sure?

Aqua Puttana
10-01-2008, 12:09 AM
HK, I apologize ......<snip>

If many think this is dangerous then I would ask a moderator to delete this post, and maybe we should never talk about adding seating to a cargo van on a forum again.

Deleting the post would reduce the benefits of forums such as this. Discussion is a good thing.

We do many straight through road trips. Once a trip is over 8 hours or so it seems you fall into a rhythm. We actually like road trips over airport hassles. Mostly because we can pack more toys. During our trips if anyone lies down on a seat to sleep I suggest they don't need a seat belt. Seat belts are made to hold you in place by going across the pelvic area. If you lie down on the seat that isn't going to happen.

The seat I installed doesn't have head rests and shoulder harnesses as the Sprinter OEM seats do, but neither do multiple passenger Dodge Ram Vans. I feel comfortable with my optional seat installation and I'm certain it meets our state requirements. Everyone needs to do what they think is best.

That said (yes, I'm harping), I would supplement the aft most....um, rear welded nuts on your welded nut seat brackets with an additional grade rated thru bolt with a sleeve down through the frame as some have done. The rear fasteners are probably going to see the greatest stress.

Hope this helps.

robertmorehead
11-03-2008, 02:25 PM
You need to use "Well nut", "Rivet nuts" called different things. In Metric size 12 is what the factory bolts are I think I recall. (if you get the bolts with the seats)

mcmaster, fastnel, there is also a special tool to install them. The floor might as well be a pop can. The normal position for the factory seat brackets are in the "Frame Rail". These type of nuts are what is used at the factory, and by aftermarket for many thing. These are the "Approved" no screw recomedation for body builders.

I think Blind Nuts / Fasteners is another term.

This method you could just leave the seats in the floor without mounts.

tymbo
11-03-2008, 09:34 PM
One reason the school busses have no belts is that they are involved in so few crashes.
They claim that the visibility of the big yellow bus keeps people from hitting it.
Did'nt help those kids very much when the driver of the bus was drunk though.

School buses don't have seatbelts for the simple reason that the law does not require them, in most cases. Take a ride on a school bus in the city of Chicago, and you WILL find seatbelts. And yes, the kids ARE required to use them, and they do!

Tim

sikwan
11-04-2008, 03:01 AM
Deleting the post would reduce the benefits of forums such as this. Discussion is a good thing.

+1.

Don't worry about it Nate. These kind of things help me too even if I don't have any seats to install. I may have other projects that may need this kind of modification. :thumbup:

Ovalmaster
12-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Riv-nuts are the way to go! However no manufacturer in North America make a riv-nut for the MBenz proprietory torx M12 x 1.5 pitch bolt if you buy them used and the guy gives them to you with the brackets and seats. The rep from So. Cal manufacturer AVK Fasteners said I can only get an M10 x 1.5 or M12x 1.75 so I can't use my proprietory (therefore no strength rate markings) MBenz bolts. My cousin works for the TTC(Toronto Transit Commission) and says this is how most seats are mounted in most buses/street cars and Subways using rivet nuts. Any grade 8 strength torxed head bolt with larger flange will be sufficient. The rep from AVk says pull out force for M10 in 16gauge floor would be 3500lbs and the M12 would be 6000+lbs. Considering there is six in each for each factory bench seat, I would feel comfortable in saying 20000-30000 lbs of pull out force is sufficient. Rep says to source from Mcmaster.com in U.S.A or Spaeneur in Canada. Oh yeah, it's AVK threaded inserts AL series. So Riv-nuts are the way to go!!!! :thumbup:

'Rett Butler
03-24-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm gonna dredge up this old thread because I have a 2004 with second and third row seat mounts. I was gonna take up the floor to install some mc wheel chocks but when I started to loosen the bolts holding the seat "pockets/brackets" to the floor, I realized the bolts were coming up from the bottom and if I actually unscrewed the nut, the bolt would fall through. But upon sliding under the van, the area is in the box section and I can't find any openings. So I'm not sure how the PO got the bolts in there. My only thought us perhaps there is a larger hole under the bracket that they passed the bolts through and back up.

I'd like to go with the rivnut option but I don't want to let loose of these bolts and lose then forever in the frame rail.

Any ideas?

Oh, and I went ahead and bolted the wheel chocks thought the floor - something made me thing there would be more of a void for the nuts between the wood and the floor - this is more secure anyway.

Aqua Puttana
03-24-2012, 09:07 PM
My only thought us perhaps there is a larger hole under the bracket that they passed the bolts through and back up.

That does sound like a possibility. :idunno:

Maybe shallow drill the ends of your bolts (studs?) and tap them for 4-40 or 6-32 thread? That way you can use a bolt or threaded rod to keep them from falling in. It would only take a few threads at the end for the holder and shouldn't affect the fastener strength.

Alternatively, JB Weld or epoxy a keeper wire on to the end of the fastener. If the end is clean the epoxy should bond just fine.

Just thinking out loud. vic

'Rett Butler
03-25-2012, 01:32 AM
Great ideas to keep a hold of them but I'm stumped how they got them in there and one is missing already. I may use one of those ideas to hold onto them so I can peak under the brackets.

Aqua Puttana
03-25-2012, 02:29 AM
... I'm stumped how they got them in there and one is missing already.

:idunno:

I have used fish wire to insert bolts through remote frame holes for trailer hitch installation. I would form the fish wire so it looked like it would get to the correct position, carefully insert it, and then use a magnet to suck the bolt out the hole needed. Sometimes it worked really slick. Sometimes the bolt would get lost and then the whores and bastards would be loudly called upon to help me out. :rolleyes:

Maybe you can retrieve the lost one with a magnet attached to the end of a stiff wire? vic

Dingo
03-26-2012, 08:41 AM
In the UK many vans are converted to passenger carriers ,BUT the seat have reinforcing plates fitted to the UNDERSIDE of the floor spreading the load . I have posted before on this , I use Irwin track or similar overhere & get an engineering shop to cut / drill & thread the plates .Mine are always way oversize for what is needed , but better safe than watching someone smear their face on the tarmac /blacktop , having punched out the front screen . By using the oversize plates , i also reduce / negate the chance of the sheet steel floor fatiguing & splitting . That is something you will not find until MOT / inspection time & then it gets messy . Weldnuts fitted to the inside on the floor could rip out under impact loadings ,allowing 3 friends & your rear seat to once again smash the front screen, ......... blacktop ... so on & so on ONLY after it has killed you in passing . Think about what path it will take to exit the front of the van , you are the squishy , pliable item other than an airbag in its way .
AND FOR CRYING OUT LOUD DO NOT USE RIVNUTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have absolutely nowhere near the strength required to retain the seat

'Rett Butler
03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
I have some experience with the need to spec way above the weight of the load to account for force from my rock climbing days, but as Ovalmaster said above, the pull out force of a M12 rivnut is 6,000 lbs. I believe it - once that rivnut has mushroomed it would take an incredible force to pull it through.

The outside plates go into the box section under the floor so I can't see how spreader plates could even be possible. The center one, I agree could use some reinforcement. The front (center) bolt though goes right next to a cross bar and the rear one has a thick 2" washer under the floor.

My new Pingle wheel chocks use M8 bolts through the floor and I tie the bike down using the M8 rings from the factory - good thing that seat will be between me and a pair of 450 lb motorcycles.

Aqua Puttana
03-26-2012, 06:44 PM
I use Irwin track or similar overhere ...
It is clear by recent discussions that installing seats should not be taken lightly. (No pun intended. :rolleyes:)

I searched and have not found Irwin track to be available over here in the USA for vehicles.

Perhaps you can spec the "similar" alternative or at least give some brand names. There may be owners who are interested. I have made my choices. vic

A.Hayes
03-26-2012, 07:44 PM
These photos may be of help for those wanting to add seating to cargo T1Ns. Since the outer two seat brackets are bolted to nuts in the frame, there are various ways of creating a similar attachment to the factory passenger set up there. The center bracket is where the main structural differences are- at the rear mount, the passenger versions have another box crossmember running between frame rails, with a reinforced L bracket of sorts with a nut to receive the bolt. The cargo versions have a lighter duty cross piece that is Z shaped. The front mount is the same other than the welded on L bracket. Pic #1 is from my friend's '06 passenger; pic #2 is from my '02 cargo (before I added my brackets).

Dingo
03-26-2012, 08:41 PM
PLease look at the washer welded to the floor
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3582/imgp2280ai2.jpg

I am not trying to be nasty to anyones work , but someones life depends upon the quality of your work . The seats I have fitted are fully adjustable in width of the seat frame . This means you can work around chassis rails & cross members as required , er OH :censored:Stupid me I should have typed unwin track , my mind was away with the sunlight , right havig realised my STUPID error , here is a weblink for you to view http://www.unwin-safety.com/ . Nut/washer combo welded to the floor will rip out , rivnut will resist a STRAIGHT pull until the floor deforms then oh dear . Spreader plates under the floor & track on top of any floor covering has to spread the weight over a far greater area lessening the strain on any fixture as well as alleving the chances of metal fatigue /failure due to the fastner pulling on a very small point . Another very important point i have missed , Many minibus seat in theUK have their seatbelts fixed to the seat assy. SO ALL the restraining is through your bolts in the floor . Weigh the seat & 3 large adults & multiply by the G force you encounter in an accident to get your final weight in pounds ( kilo's) that will pull on those fixture & fittings .

Do you fit seat blets that mount to the vans frame ??? that spreads the load into the bodywork all over

Not very funny removing blood stained seats that were correctly fitted & did deform under the weight of their passengers

Would you replace your brake pipes with washer hose ?? or re cut your tyres when they reached the wear markers ??? . This site is a mine of stunning info & has given me a lot , I am trying to ensure you all stick around to enjoy it & give me a bit of stick for my errors . I would not put my son in any vehicle that had seats that had the potential to be dangerous

Look at your money pits & think how you would feel if they were hurt

Aqua Puttana
03-26-2012, 10:28 PM
right havig realised my STUPID error , here is a weblink for you to view http://www.unwin-safety.com/ .
Now that looks familiar.

Your Unwin product is based upon logistical track or L-track and is what I used.

I haven't seen similar seat mounts offered in the US so far though. That's too bad. A pity.

Here's what one of our suppliers looks like over here.

http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/Logistic-Track-s/60.htm
http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/Series-L-Track-Fittings-s/70.htm

Thanks for the clarification. vic

'Rett Butler
05-13-2012, 03:20 PM
As stated in an earlier post, my cargo van already had factory seats installed when I bought it. However, the front bolt for the driver's side I found did not thread into anything. The back bolt (and all the other pocket bolts came up through the floor. They were not captive (welded) however and if I loosen one, it will drop into the frame rail. I crawled around under the van numerous time trying to find out how they got those bolts into the frame rails - but there are no openings.

So I dropped the fuel tank, drilled through the bottom of the frame rail (from the top) and then enlarged the hole in the bottom of the frame rail so I could get a 19mm socket through. I was able to purchase 12mm x 1.25 hardened bolts, nuts and washers from Ace Hardware and opted to do a lock washer and a regular washer on each side.

Here are the holes from the bottom (fuel tank removed for the driver's side).

In case you haven't done this, these are the places in the floor the pockets go.

Installed:

And for aesthetics (but a total PITA) I installed the bolts down. Which means I had to balance a lock washer and a flat washer on top of the socket as I put it through the frame rail. Not really worth it.

Sorry Vic, I always thought this forum didn't support direct IMG - just didn't have it turned on - duh!

Aqua Puttana
05-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Pics removed. Nice looking job. vic

'Rett Butler
05-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Oh crap...I linked to your "re-uploads". Now I can't edit my post. Arrgghh, I'm ruining the site!

From above....

I was able to purchase 12mm x 1.25 hardened bolts, nuts and washers from Ace Hardware and opted to do a lock washer and a regular washer on each side.
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/HondaGarrett/Cages/MB%20T1N/Seat%20Brackets/DSC00154.jpg

Here are the holes from the bottom (fuel tank removed for the driver's side).
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/HondaGarrett/Cages/MB%20T1N/Seat%20Brackets/DSC00157.jpg

In case you haven't done this, these are the places in the floor the pockets go.
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/HondaGarrett/Cages/MB%20T1N/Seat%20Brackets/DSC00155.jpg

Installed:
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/HondaGarrett/Cages/MB%20T1N/Seat%20Brackets/DSC00158.jpg

And for aesthetics (but a total PITA) I installed the bolts down. Which means I had to balance a lock washer and a flat washer on top of the socket as I put it through the frame rail. Not really worth it.
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/HondaGarrett/Cages/MB%20T1N/Seat%20Brackets/DSC00159.jpg

Aqua Puttana
05-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Oh crap...I linked to your "re-uploads". Now I can't edit my post. Arrgghh, I'm ruining the site!
:lol:

Not to worry. That happened when they missed their opportunity to exclude me as a member.

We're all just learning together here. You're doing fine. :cheers: vic

mrgarciainc
08-11-2012, 05:35 PM
I plan to put mine in this way. I ordered 3 floor brackets but dealer gave me the 3 long ones. Anyone know the part for the short one in the middle?

bc339
08-12-2012, 02:20 PM
There are two part numbers listed in the Dodge parts manual, but it doesn't tell you which is which.

The MB EPC does, so here goes - with numbers cross referenced -

MB p/n - A 901 950 01 74 / Dodge p/n - 05104531AA
474 MM in length

The longer one -

MB p/n - A 901 950 02 74 / Dodge p/n - 05104532AA
586 MM in lengh

Bruce

If ordering Dodge online, don't enter the zero at the beginning of the part number or the search won't work - it's a quirk of the system.

mrgarciainc
08-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks.

modrover
09-20-2012, 03:03 PM
I wanted to add a third row to my cargo 118" (with windows) and had the same problem. How to install the brackets with no access to threading nuts and washers!

I ended up enlarging the one oval shaped hole (for the longer brackets) so that I could slip two 4" lengths of 1/2" thick grade 8 threaded barstock (each section having two thread holes for a combined four bolts for each long seat bracket) inside the cavity. I drilled two extra holes into the seat brackets to match the barstock (and into the floor into the cavities). Added a bit of adhesive to the tops of the barstock so that when I used my narrow magnet to pull up the barstock... I could tread one bolt to start and then the second one after... sucking them bolt up tight... fixing them into place (btw... I used thin wire and a magnet to get the thread barstock over to the other end of the enlarged hole area... fished the line). I let that set up before removing the bolts... and then bolting down the long seat brackets was a snap. The shorter middle seat bracket I just marked the holes and drilled into the cross member cavities (from above) and just under the bed metal are captive nut threads!! Awesome! The middle seat bracket has it already there. Just mark with care before drilling.

Now, each long seat bracket has four points of attachment and there's two grade 8 barstock sections that are 4" long sandwiching the body metal and seat brackets snug as a bug! Not to mention the middle short bracket is bolted down tight as well. All in all... my setup is extremely safe and solid. Being able to fully tighten down the bolts (Mercedes seat bolts btw) with loc-tight really brings peace of mind... no worries about that heavy seat becoming airborn in an accident... or becoming lose in any way.

Anywho... that's what I did.:cheers:

Pisklak77
11-16-2012, 02:55 AM
nice post, do anybody have the passenger seats photos how they are installed?

chrisnchewy
03-28-2013, 01:35 AM
i bought a used dats van, "Disabled Adult Transit Service". It is classified as a bus. All the seats had shoulder straps attached to the wall of the van. It had 4 fold down bench seats and 3 single seats on the passenger side. I removed all but two of the fold down bench seats. When i did this i was surprised to find that the original seats were only bolted through the floor with the use of heavy fender washer. The shoulder seat belts had flat bar looking rectangle nuts that were inserted and twisted through holes in the box rail above the windows. looks to me like you only need to use high grade bolts and big heavy washer through the floor to in stall seats in the back of these vans.

Aqua Puttana
03-29-2013, 05:25 AM
... looks to me like you only need to use high grade bolts and big heavy washer through the floor to in stall seats in the back of these vans.
If it isn't used for commercial service and won't be inspected closely then you are correct. Almost anything can be installed.

The trick is that you never want it to fail. If that should happen it opens up multiple cans of worms.

A search will show that many people have commented about installing seats in a Sprinter after the fact without having them as OEM ordered from the factory. I've said too much on this subject already, so I'll refrain from further comments. vic

ohlsonmh
04-17-2013, 10:44 PM
I got a small 2-person seat (the middle one) from a VW Vanagon and installed it against the wall opposite the sliding door, behind the driver's seat.

I used the original welded-in screw holes and some of the original high-tensile screws and some angle iron to clamp the seat to the floor, and the seat belts are clamped directly to the original weld nuts (with original bolts for strength), so I don't have the seat acting as extra leverage like the ones Vic mentioned.

The holes in the floor where the original seat tracks were are filled perfectly wit pieces of 1x3" lumber cut to length & rounded at the ends.

I originally had plenty of seats - the van was a 10-passenger version, long bed & all windows.

The seats were extremely heavy and difficult to remove - reinstall so I sold the 3 of them for $1,000 and found a better way for carrying a few passengers and stiil have room for a full-size double bed in back and in an emergency, another person can sleep on the VW seat.

The VW seat is so much lighter and easily removed & re-installed, compared to the original seats.

-Oly

ECU
09-24-2013, 04:03 AM
I did it easy. Mine did not have preinstalled nuts. I had a shop weld the nuts in for me.

mywildstove
04-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Hi All,

After reading a dozens of threads and realizing the job of adding a bench seat was beyond me, I called around and finally found a vendor to add one for $750. It's a 4 person bench with two shoulder belts and two lap belts and it's removable. They used half dollar sized washers on the underside of the van (hope they're strong enough) and had to drop the gas tank. I'm pretty happy with it and the cost was way lower than others. The name of the outfit is called Happy Vans in the San Jose, CA area. Only took them 2 hours.

arvydas23
04-16-2014, 12:06 AM
Hi someone need two benches from sprinter 2010 new , with breckets and bolts. 3 seat and 4 seat .