PDA

View Full Version : Clear Headlights

georgetg
05-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Recap from another post:
Got my box (it's big...)

source: http://www.carparts-online.de/
not MB but OEM quality (made in Taiwan)

55 Euro sent by postal service, no insurance, no tracking (3 weeks)
or
85 Euro sent by UPS with insurance and tracking (72 hours)

When they say DHL it ends up sent as a parcel through regular mail, it might have to do with the fact that DHL is owned in part by Deutsche Post (German Post Office) and that's how they save a dime...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6874&stc=1&d=1206419126

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6875&stc=1&d=1206419126

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6876&stc=1&d=1206419126

georgetg
05-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Allright,

finally have the time to do the install....

Notice the lights actually come with English instructions
The new clear lights are pretty much plug and play with 2 exceptions:

1) They have no wiring or contacts for running lights
Running lights=both orange front turn signals illuminated continuously.
The contact for the second filament of the running lights is missing.
The running lights are wired in parallel with the small bulb "headlight".
I ran a wire from the socket for that bulb and soldered it to the running light lampholder.
By giving the wire enough slack I'll be able to change the bulb.

2) The motor from my US lights won't fit... the actuator is to long.
(I'm guessing along with the 2002 model change a smaller actuator was introduced on the motor, our US lights are the pre Mopf 2002 lights)
Ok so I lost the ability to adjust the lights... not to big of a deal as there is a manual adjust knob.
I'll see if I can source the new actuator or I might just modify the existing actuator to make it fit...

The German spec lights also required new bulbs.

H7 for Headlight
H7 for Foglight
H3 for High Beam

They work and I like the look.

Cheers
George

maxextz
05-10-2008, 06:35 PM
how come the one pictured on the right is longer than the other one?:thinking:, must fit ok.:laughing:
ps iv have those lights on my 2005 the only thing about those lights "theres always something" whatever type of plastic is used it gets a dirty black film on it after a few years,and they look terrible, to get it off you have to take them apart to clean them ,like the plastic in your fridge black stuff seems to come from the plastic.

maxextz
05-10-2008, 07:21 PM
took some photos to show what i mean:idunno:
max...

sikwan
05-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Looks great George! :thumbup:

The picture with the lights side by side as a comparison does make it look like one is longer than the other. It must be the camera lens causing that distortion.

Max, is the black stuff from road debris sneaking into the unit?

georgetg
05-10-2008, 11:00 PM
The lights fit perfectly and yes, that must be the picture angle, they are the same size.

There are minor differences in design, but not functionality.
I would imagine similar to the OEM variations between parts from different vendors.

luckily the clear is clipped on and can be removed for cleaning should I need to do that down the road...

Cheers
George

mean_in_green
05-10-2008, 11:11 PM
how come the one pictured on the right is longer than the other one.

Correct!

The headlamp adjust motors were (unhelpfully) changed when the T1N got its nose job.

Anyone carrying out this conversion who wants to keep the adjust facility should buy OEM from the dealer (they come with right motors fitted).

I've spent ages unsuccesfully trying to find out where to buy the revised motors from. It's unlikely that you could make the old ones fit as the reflector moulding is a different shape and size where it needs to fix. I was going modify them to accept the old motors, but it needed more effort than I was prepared to put into it...

MIG

georgetg
05-11-2008, 01:44 AM
MIG

The US T1N Sprinters--even the post 2002--come with the old lights...
So my goal was to get the clear lamps.

I probably will cut and glue the plastic original to make it work in the new style lights.

The other option is to fit the metal part (left) to the wide section of the plastic shaft,.
The plastic shaft is hollow and should be able to be threaded to accommodate the manual adjust metal ballscrew...

Since I drive mostly un- and lightlyloaded I won't miss the adjust feature terribly.

Cheers
George

mean_in_green
05-11-2008, 07:11 AM
You've got the idea George - and as you say, it's no major loss to not have the adjust facility.

Best regards,

MIG

maxextz
05-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Looks great George! :thumbup:

Max, is the black stuff from road debris sneaking into the unit?
hi sikwan
this black stuff is kinda like sooth if you look at the my top pic its like little veins,:rolleyes:ive opened and washed those lights only about 4 months ago because the sooth looks awful:thumbdown:, wow question now is am i the only one with this problem? apart from that the clear lenses look really nice:thumbup:
ps sikwan can you have a look at my questions in "t1n talk /sprinter questions" please you might know what im asking about, thanks:hmmm:
max....

Altered Sprinter
05-11-2008, 02:39 PM
It carbon residue from the crankcase blow back fumes. this can settle on the outer plastic glass casing.
Clean with these products for perfect restoration. In theory the fumes should not be able to penetrate the inner glass section as to the seal on the bulbs and for the rubber hoses on each side to allow for heat and air transfer,, however Ive seen plenty of the older units with this residue on the outside of the glass.
Richard

IN part the chemical conversion is sulphuric dioxide..Fuel related of which under extreme moist cold weather conditions in conjunction with rising temperature's which converts to a clear like substance , called Carbon Disulfide:D:
Unfortunately one of the negative down sides from Dieseline.
7703 Richard

SprinterUSA1
05-11-2008, 02:55 PM
MIG

I probably will cut and glue the plastic original to make it work in the new style lights.

The other option is to fit the metal part (left) to the wide section of the plastic shaft,.
The plastic shaft is hollow and should be able to be threaded to accommodate the manual adjust metal ballscrew...

Cheers
George

George,

looks like you bought from the same source I did a few years ago. Had to deal with the same issue. The metal stem will not work if I recall correctly because its diameter is too large to fit inside the nylon stem on the new lights. I bought some threaded nylon inserts from the local hardware store. They were only a few cents and threaded and glued them in. They worked well for several years maybe still do. Tibor would know.

Cheers Enrico

maxextz
05-11-2008, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=Altered Sprinter;26263]It carbon residue from the crankcase blow back fumes. this can settle on the outer plastic glass casing.
Clean with these products for perfect restoration. In theory the fumes should not be able to penetrate the inner glass section as to the seal on the bulbs and for the rubber hoses on each side to allow for heat and air transfer,, however Ive seen plenty of the older units with this residue on the outside of the glass.
Richard
thanks richard i think you are right ill have to clean them again and check the seals around the sides "i think about 2 years ago some water made its way into one of my lights:crazy:" omg your lights are so clean:drool: i showed my wife the pictures of my lights compared to yours and she said "its only a van":rolleyes: so its either im sad or shes nuts:thinking:,questions for you, whats those 2 black bits under your lights? and can you post a pic of your grill? i was thinking of adding those silver strips on mine it looks nice:thumbup:
thanks richard
max...

mean_in_green
05-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Looks like Richard's running lens protectors with those black clips?

maxextz
05-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Looks like Richard's running lens protectors with those black clips?
looking closer now i think your right:clapping:

Altered Sprinter
05-12-2008, 02:54 AM
Yep:rad: Clear over Genuine MB light protectors.
Grille inserts came with van New.
Richard

kkanuck
05-12-2008, 03:45 AM
George,

looks like you bought from the same source I did a few years ago. Had to deal with the same issue. The metal stem will not work if I recall correctly because its diameter is too large to fit inside the nylon stem on the new lights. I bought some threaded nylon inserts from the local hardware store. They were only a few cents and threaded and glued them in. They worked well for several years maybe still do. Tibor would know.

Cheers Enrico

They seem to be working great Enrico, I just forgot all about the motors for adjustment, I just swapped out the entire housings, was there motors in them, or do I have to remove the ones one my old ones?

One other question, when the lights are on, one can see small pit marks on the lens, can this lens be changed only, or only the unit complete?

Cheers,

Tibor

maxextz
05-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Yep:rad: Clear over Genuine MB light protectors.
Grille inserts came with van New.
Richard
hi richard that grill looks really nice:thumbup:

SprinterUSA1
05-13-2008, 03:17 AM
They seem to be working great Enrico, I just forgot all about the motors for adjustment, I just swapped out the entire housings, was there motors in them, or do I have to remove the ones one my old ones?

One other question, when the lights are on, one can see small pit marks on the lens, can this lens be changed only, or only the unit complete?

Cheers,

Tibor

Tibor,

the headlights I sent you came with motor installed. I had no reason to take them out. I do not have a headlight assembly here to look at but I believe the lens comes off by removing clips that hold it in place. Not sure though.

SprinterUSA1

kkanuck
05-13-2008, 06:06 AM
Tibor,

the headlights I sent you came with motor installed. I had no reason to take them out. I do not have a headlight assembly here to look at but I believe the lens comes off by removing clips that hold it in place. Not sure though.

SprinterUSA1

Thank You...

sprinterusa
06-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Next step is to put HID XENON (6000 k) CONVERSION KIT. You will think you got candles before.

8463 Double panorama glass to.

8466 8465
..................1800.00 option on my 2007 170 EXT 3500

========= www.sprintergrille.com =====

============== www.mercedesshuttle.com ===========

=============== Rudi ===========

mean_in_green
06-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Yes, the factory xenons really lift the appearance of the NCV3 - even when not in use.

And got to be one of the best options to go for from a safety point of view with night time driving?

kkanuck
07-24-2008, 02:56 AM
I put these in my van few months ago.....a set I got from Enrico....which was great, as I always wanted these...and they must have worked fine in his ride for him.
However, I do not know why, but my headlights are no longer angled correctly, one is out of wack...I have the adjustable switch, but they seem to do nothing. Enrico told me the motors to adjust were in there, maybe I did not hook the wire up?

I put the new headlights in ( from his old T1N), and one headlight points down one up. I did not adjust anything, just removed the old headlights from the mounting frame, and put the new ones in. Any ideas how I adjust them to point properly? It almost seems like my old headlights were brighter, could this be?

I have some type of blue bulb, but they are not zenon's or anything....

I am almost thinking of putting the old ones back in......

Another problem, maybe from the heat is on the len's I have pitting on the clear lens in the center of the fixture in front of the bulb where it gets the hottest, it is more noticeable when the head light is on, than off, one can see these "specks" in front of the light beam on the clear lens and I do not think they will be removable. Has anyone had this happen?

Also, please let me know if anyone can shoot me in the right adjusting direction an individual headlamp manually as I did not adjust anything before I swapped it and now they are out of whack.

Cheers,

Tibor

SprinterUSA1
07-24-2008, 03:10 AM
Tibor,

I have the feeling that the pins I installed to make the motors work broke off during shipping. This would be easy to check locking at the head light assembly. Unless they do not get power? They where adjusting fine when I had them installed.
I do not remember exactly how much difference there was if any. But the clear lights with the blueish halogen bulbs( not to be confused with xenon) seem to be a cleaner light then the diffuser lens with its yellowish light beam.

SprinterUSA1

kkanuck
07-24-2008, 04:55 AM
Tibor,

I have the feeling that the pins I installed to make the motors work broke off during shipping. This would be easy to check locking at the head light assembly. Unless they do not get power? They where adjusting fine when I had them installed.
I do not remember exactly how much difference there was if any. But the clear lights with the blueish halogen bulbs( not to be confused with xenon) seem to be a cleaner light then the diffuser lens with its yellowish light beam.

SprinterUSA1

Hi Enrico,

Glad you are here.....

They are out of alignment of each other, so the motors I'm sure would move synchronized, so I would have to adjust one only no?

Strange part is, that I mounted it to the frame same way both sides, and the frame is what would adjust the headlight beam, not the light itself, or am I wrong here? I just removed old, and replace new same way with no adjusting of anything, and this is how they seem to be shining.....I wonder if I put the old back in they would look like they did before I put in these as far as direction of beam on the road?

Cheers,

Tibor

SprinterUSA1
07-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Hi Enrico,

Glad you are here.....

They are out of alignment of each other, so the motors I'm sure would move synchronized, so I would have to adjust one only no?

Strange part is, that I mounted it to the frame same way both sides, and the frame is what would adjust the headlight beam, not the light itself, or am I wrong here? I just removed old, and replace new same way with no adjusting of anything, and this is how they seem to be shining.....I wonder if I put the old back in they would look like they did before I put in these as far as direction of beam on the road?

Cheers,

Tibor

Tibor,

they should definitely not be pointing up. I do remember them pointing a bit higher thus illuminating things more then the OEM once. They should still not be blinding anyone. Motors adjust simultaneously. They cannot be mounted wrong so I am sure there is no mistake on your part.

Enrico

kkanuck
07-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Tibor,

they should definitely not be pointing up. I do remember them pointing a bit higher thus illuminating things more then the OEM once. They should still not be blinding anyone. Motors adjust simultaneously. They cannot be mounted wrong so I am sure there is no mistake on your part.

Enrico

Thank Enrico,

When I pull up to a wall, I can see that the one side the beam is high, and one side is much lower, so that is why I am confused as to why, and how to fix. My old headlights lit up the road much better, but I much prefer the look of these....so not sure if I can fix this somehow. I looked at both headlights up close, and the main beam on one side is pointing up in comparison to the other, is there any manual adjustment by chance?

I only remember seeing the wires for the lights when I disconnected and reassembled the old to new headlights, is there a special wiring harness just for the light adjustment? I would have to align the 2 headlights together manually somehow I would think before the adjuster would work to raise and lower "BOTH" headlights at once when weight dictated and adjustment requirement no?

Cheers,

Tibor

SprinterUSA1
07-26-2008, 03:46 AM
Thank Enrico,

When I pull up to a wall, I can see that the one side the beam is high, and one side is much lower, so that is why I am confused as to why, and how to fix. My old headlights lit up the road much better, but I much prefer the look of these....so not sure if I can fix this somehow. I looked at both headlights up close, and the main beam on one side is pointing up in comparison to the other, is there any manual adjustment by chance?

I only remember seeing the wires for the lights when I disconnected and reassembled the old to new headlights, is there a special wiring harness just for the light adjustment? I would have to align the 2 headlights together manually somehow I would think before the adjuster would work to raise and lower "BOTH" headlights at once when weight dictated and adjustment requirement no?

Cheers,

Tibor

:hmmm::thinking::rolleyes: Not sure why they would be out of alignment. There is no extra wire for the adjuster. It is part of the harness you plug in.

What happens when you adjust the lights with the dial on the dash? Do they move up or down at all. Maybe one of the pins from the motors is sticking out to far and holds the assembly up to far?

Cheers Enrico

mean_in_green
07-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Enrico,

1. On the lamp which aims too high, take the bulb out and check its orientation in the lamp holder.

2. You can use the plastic threaded adjusters on the rear of the lamps to correct poor beam aim. There are two - one each for the vertical and horizontal planes. Do it at night fairly close to a wall or garage door.

kkanuck
07-27-2008, 03:55 AM
Thank you Mean in Green.

Will check that out, did not see it.

Cheers,

Tibor

mean_in_green
07-27-2008, 09:26 AM
No probs Tibor - apology for incorrectly addressing my previous to Enrico!

02 Sprinter
07-27-2008, 03:24 PM
:thumbup:Greetings etc.,,I put a set of Quartz bulbs that I purchased on internet in my 02Sprinter..HUGE improvement!! I did my homework though and found a set MUCH Brighter AND actually a lot cooler than OEM!!! Also on mine there are 2 plastic adjusting thumb wheels on each headlight directly behind..One for up&down and other for side to side..Just be careful not to go too for with them....Kind Regards,,02Sprinter:rad:

kkanuck
07-27-2008, 08:29 PM
:thumbup:Greetings etc.,,I put a set of Quartz bulbs that I purchased on internet in my 02Sprinter..HUGE improvement!! I did my homework though and found a set MUCH Brighter AND actually a lot cooler than OEM!!! Also on mine there are 2 plastic adjusting thumb wheels on each headlight directly behind..One for up&down and other for side to side..Just be careful not to go too for with them....Kind Regards,,02Sprinter:rad:

Please tell us more about the bulbs you found with lower heat, I am interested.....

Thanks,

Tibor

02 Sprinter
07-28-2008, 12:28 AM
:popcorn:I am on Vacation in the Catskills at the present time.When I get home Monday,I will post the Brand&bulb#s and Ebay vendor and price...:cheers:

02 Sprinter
08-18-2008, 04:31 AM
:thumbup:Sorry for being tardy getting back on these bulbs..Brand is IPF and the part numbers are:IPF-Xenon BlueH1 High Beams&IPF-H7 Xenon Blue Low Beams..The Vendor on Ebay is AutomotivelightingUSA.com..Phone toll free:866-861-3784.Output is 145Watt on high&low beams AND they are actually COOLER than factory..Regards,02Sprinter:cheers:

Pascal
11-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Hey,

I have a question. I looked at those light before. Are they USA road legal because I do not see the orange reflective marker on the side of the light. If I remember, they are for the European market, where they do not need the side marker. Just curious, I might be wrong. :thinking:

They do look great :thumbup:

Pascal

Nate
11-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Hey,

Are they USA road legal because I do not see the orange reflective marker on the side of the light.
Pascal

Pascal, I believe one way to get around that in the states is to use an orange bulb behind the clear lenses.

Nate

georgetg
11-06-2008, 07:55 AM
that's it the bulb is orange

The side marker light and turn signal light are the same bulb...

Cheers
George

Pascal
11-06-2008, 07:21 PM
The reflective triangle is still missing. I am not talking about the amber light nor any lights. All vehicle (road use) in the USA have a front side amber light and a reflective material. The reflective material does not light up.

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/21214.ztv.html :professor:

Pascal

Altered Sprinter
11-06-2008, 10:28 PM
The Answer to the above is because the side lamp flasher is Amber elsewhere, not clear as to the US Variant side flasher unit.
Richard

kkanuck
11-07-2008, 05:36 AM
Does anyone know by chance, what the optimal headlamp beam setting as far as direction goes would be?

My headlamps seem to be out of wack, and I would like to set them as they should be, they seem to be aimed to low to the ground, and I cannot see to far ahead, or so it seems...

There are knobs on the backside to adjust the aim...

Cheers,

Tibor

Pascal
11-08-2008, 12:41 AM
This might help you, or at least a place to start.

http://www.tfhrc.gov/safety/hsis/pubs/04148/aiming.htm

Pascal

kkanuck
11-08-2008, 03:20 PM
This might help you, or at least a place to start.

http://www.tfhrc.gov/safety/hsis/pubs/04148/aiming.htm

Pascal

Thanks for that.....

Seems a little confusing, I do not quite understand how high the beam should be off the ground at 35ft from the vehicle, I do not see a figure for this....

I am thinking I should put my old ones back in, shine them on a wall, make marks, and then put the clear ones back in and align to the original factory settings.

I bought the clear lens versions second hand, and they are out of alignment, hence my problem....

Cheers.

Pascal
11-08-2008, 10:19 PM
it is a little confusing, but i think at 25 feet the reference point should be the same as the optical because the sprinter's headlight is below 36".
I can try tonight and see what i have on mine if that can help.
But i do not know if the conventional headlight and the clear headlight have the same beam pattern

kkanuck
11-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Thank you for that......

If the vehicle is 25ft from a wall, on level ground, how high is the center of the beam on the wall, off of the ground?

This measurement should be all i need I believe.

Many Thanks if you are kind enough to measure.

Cheers,

Tibor

Pascal
11-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Ok I did it on my garage door at 25'

Center of the beam for the low beam is at 32"
Top of the bean at cut off for the fog light is at 29"

I hope this can help you

Pascal

kkanuck
11-10-2008, 03:18 AM
Ok I did it on my garage door at 25'

Center of the beam for the low beam is at 32"
Top of the bean at cut off for the fog light is at 29"

I hope this can help you

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

That is VERY helpful........very much appreciate it.

I will check against mine and make any necessary adjustments,

Thanks,

Tibor

sprinterpartsdepot
11-14-2008, 06:35 PM
You'll find excellent information here.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Hope this helps.

sprinterusa
11-20-2008, 08:06 PM
My next step was XENON upgrade on my T1N

special H7R bulbs which have 'black out's' to produce the right light pattern.

Important!
Most vehicles do not have projector headlights (most Mercedes, Honda, Renault, Peugeot, Fiat, Vauxhall....).
If your headlights are non-projector and take H7 bulbs then after HID conversion you will blind oncoming vehicle's drivers.
Why? HID conversion with non-projector headlights producing incorrect light pattern which will blind oncoming vehicle's drivers.

Regular H7 looks like candles after XENON upgrade.

Xenon High Intensity Discharge Lighting System. Brighter, whiter light, stretching for meters ahead of the car, ensuring
improved clarity of vision in comparison to halogen lighting systems, making driving less tiring in the evening and at night
and therefore safer.
The Xenon HID kit is becoming more and more popular. The advantages they offer over a standard halogen bulb are
quite outstanding.
How it works?
High Intensity Discharge (HID) is a new type of lighting technology that's primarily different from the conventional halogen
bulbs that use a heated tungsten filament. Unlike Halogen lamps, High-Intensity-Discharge (HID) lamps don't have a filament
but create light by the arc between two electrodes. The arc activates the Xenon, which in turn ignites the metal halide. The
light produced by an HID Xenon lighting system is greater than a standard halogen bulb and with less power consumption.
On the road, HID Xenon lighting systems appear as a bright white beam which resembles natural daylight.
The bright white beam offers greater visibility and road safety.

Rudi @ www.sprintergrille.com

To buy “Powered by Mercedes-Benz” badge you can go to your local Dodge Sprinter dealer.
Part# 5124317AA List for 5.65, shop cost $4.24 USD

www.mercedesshuttle.com

Pascal
11-21-2008, 05:20 AM
Hi,

Can you take a picture of the H7R bulbs pattern on a wall please? I am just worried about the HID kit. I found this post and article about them :thinking:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41131

Pascal

sprinterusa
11-21-2008, 03:50 PM
The left bulb is H7R correct one.
The right bulb H7 is not correct one.

Important!
Most vehicles do not have projector headlights (most Mercedes, Honda, Renault, Peugeot, Fiat, Vauxhall....).
If your headlights are non-projector and take H7 bulbs then after HID conversion you will blind oncoming vehicle's drivers.
Why? HID conversion with non-projector headlights producing incorrect light pattern which will blind oncoming vehicle's drivers.

Regular H7 (not xenon) looks like candles after XENON upgrade.

Factory Mercedes-Benz Shift Handle features Mercedes star logo for your T1N

To buy Factory Mercedes-Benz Shift Handle(T1N only) you can go to your local Mercedes-Benz dealer.
Part# A 163 267 0210 9045 List for 82.00, shop cost $43.00 USD
Mercedes club member's price $56.00

kkanuck
11-24-2008, 02:23 AM
The left bulb is H7R correct one.
The right bulb H7 is not correct one.

Important!

Regular H7 (not xenon) looks like candles after XENON upgrade.

Factory Mercedes-Benz Shift Handle features Mercedes star logo for your T1N

To buy Factory Mercedes-Benz Shift Handle(T1N only) you can go to your local Mercedes-Benz dealer.
Part# A 163 267 0210 9045 List for 82.00, shop cost $43.00 USD
Mercedes club member's price $56.00

If I have the upgraded by myself projector headlights presently with halogen bulbs, I need a kit aside from just a bulb swap out correct, the US factory standard wiring is not setup for HID without mods? If so, and ideas where I can get them?

Any ideas if they sell replacement plastic lens on the clear projector headlights, as mine seem a little pitted I think from heat....

Thanks for any tips,

Tibor

robseanbishop
01-07-2011, 11:46 PM
how much?
and do u like them?