PDA

View Full Version : Newbie qestion: power to the microwave/oven?

empty-c
03-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Hello,

I am the new proud owner of a 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous, day # 2. The previous owner was nice enough, but didn't actually know a lot about how to use it (she only had it a year). Long story short - on battery or generator power, there is no power to the oven/microwave. No clock, no inside light even. I contacted the previous owner, who thought you had to be plugged in for the oven to work, but that seems odd. I wold at least expect that on battery power, the oven clock would turn on and the generator should run the unit fine. I suspect I have a blown fuse, but the ones on the main power board are ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks

gte
03-12-2012, 02:30 AM
Hello,

I am the new proud owner of a 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous, day # 2. The previous owner was nice enough, but didn't actually know a lot about how to use it (she only had it a year). Long story short - on battery or generator power, there is no power to the oven/microwave. No clock, no inside light even. I contacted the previous owner, who thought you had to be plugged in for the oven to work, but that seems odd. I wold at least expect that on battery power, the oven clock would turn on and the generator should run the unit fine. I suspect I have a blown fuse, but the ones on the main power board are ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I do not think the power to the MW is supplied by battery at any time. The battery or inverter are just not powerful enough to run the MW. The inverter is at most 750 watts and the MW is probably 1000-1500 watts.

The MW gets its power from the generator or shore power. The MW is not hard wired and in our 2008 RS it is plugged into an outlet inside the slide out pantry. Slide out the pantry and look back along the wall and there should be an outlet there with a plug from the MW in it. If it is plugged in check the fuse for that circuit or plug in shore power and use a voltage meter to see if the outlet has 120 volts AC showing

I am assuming the floor plan for the 2006 and 2008 are similar. If not your plug for the MW may be in a different spot

mowog
03-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Make sure the battery switch above the sliding door is ON before starting the generator or plugging into shore power.

Make sure the breakers for the AC/microwave are on.

The coffee maker and AC plug into outlets in overhead cabinets, the microwave probably plugs into an outlet behind it. Check to be sure the easy ones to see are plugged in.

The light on the coffee maker and microwave do not power up without generator or shore power.

Try to plug into to shore power - you can get a 30 adapter to plug into a regular home outlet. You should not run the AC/microwave, but you can charge the batteries and verify that the appliance lights are on. I added a 30 Amp outlet box to the side of our garage, but it is now hooked to a 20 amp line (i am getting ready to feed a 30 amp line to it). To make certain nobody turns on the AC or Microwave on I switch those breakers off.

If no power on either shore or generator, there is a power transfer box (ours is in floor box at drivers side rear wheel arch) that should be checked.

Here is a neat site that makes it easier to figure things out. http://www.metrotrekkers.org/utility/electrical.htm

Good Luck,

Bob Skillman
Ellicott City, MD
2011 RS

icarus
03-18-2012, 04:16 AM
The micro/oven only works on shore power or genny powe, not battery/inverter. It is way too much draw for the pair of house batteries, no matter what folks try to tell you.

Icarus